LOST Media Mentions - DarkUFO

Thanks to Dee for the heads up.

Allocine : What do like about Locke and what don't you like about him ?

I like everything about him, and I do, I'm not being faecitious. I like playing him, and I like his flaws, I think it's all his weaknesses that make him interesting. He's the un-Jack, and I like his instability. So you know, there's nothing I don't like about playing my character. If I met him on the street I'm not sure I would like him, he might frighten me a little bit, but I love my character.

Is that important for you, do you think you have to love what you're doing to be a good actor?

You have to love what you're doing. I don't know if you have to love your character or not, but you certainly have to understand him, and you have to know why he makes the choices that he makes. That's half an actor's job, is the understanding, it's the psychology of this person. Everyone has a reason to do anything they do, and you simply have to understand what that reason is, and then, once you understand it, you have to try to make it interesting to watch, and that's the other half of the actors job. I think.

You were the only cast member cast without auditioning, what do you think made J.J. Abrams think you were right for the role?

We had worked together on Alias, I did Alias for a long time. I was a guest actor on Alias, so I didn't get paid a lot of money. And I think he though he owed me something (laughs). He thought he owed me something, and apparently he had faith that I would be able to deliver something, that I could make Locke interesting, so I'm grateful to him for that.

Do you have anything in common with Locke?

Sure. But I think you do too (laughs).

What are those things?

Well, in my case, a self-doubt, y'know, "Can I do the job?" I have a lot of that. I'm impatient, like Locke. I want to believe in magic and spirituality , I have that.

You want to or you do?

This I have in common with him. I want to, and I do if I have evidence (laughs). And he's the same way, y'know, he wants to and he needs... When they say he's a man of faith, I think he's a man who desperately wants to have faith, in something. I think, y'know, his whole life before the island, he had no faith in anything, because everything was a disappointment: his family – no family, no friends, no recognition and no place in the world. And he believes that, um, he landed on the island and he had a clean slate, as the philosopher, John Locke said, tabula rosa, a clean slate, now I can write on that slate whatever I want to, I can be sombody.

So actually he's not lost.

Oh no, no, no, he's the only one [who's not lost]



Source: 01 Men

We welcome relevant, respectful comments.
 
blog comments powered by Disqus