LOST Media Mentions - DarkUFO

Note: There's a little information you might consider a spoiler.

Were you a Star Trek fan growing up? Michael Bradburn, TORONTO
Star Trek was always a little bit closed emotionally. I never connected to the characters. The show I loved more than anything was The Twilight Zone. In every episode, Rod Serling would introduce you to any number of characters, often broken people who are struggling in some weird way.

You've created several original TV shows, but your movies have been TV remakes. Is television more receptive to new ideas? Forrest Karbowski NEW YORK CITY
Because of the risk in budget, because films cost as much as they do, it's simply harder to find opportunities to take those kinds of creative risks in film. For right now, I think TV might be a place where there are more unexpected stories being told.

How much of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry's philosophy did you keep in the film? Oscar Trevino AUSTIN, TEXAS
The beauty of what he created is that sense of optimism and diversity. It was refreshing to work on a film that had a bighearted approach to the future--to show a future you'd actually like to live in, as opposed to many films where you think, "I'll pass."

With Lost entering its final season next year, do you have dibs on directing the series finale? Martin Sundstedt STOCKHOLM
It would be an honor to go back and direct the finale. The reason I won't do it is that Jack Bender, who is the directing producer on the show, has essentially earned the right to do whatever he wants. He should be directing the finale.

Are you a comic-book geek? Melissa Wolland LOS ANGELES
I was never really a comic-book fanatic. It's funny, because that stuff that I'm entertained by now are the same things I was entertained by when I was a kid. I remember my first day of nursery school, bawling because I was afraid I would miss Batman. I remember the teacher saying, "What's wrong?" And I couldn't catch my breath through the tears to say, "Am I going to miss Batman?"

You've directed two movies now. Have you developed your own style, a J.J. Abrams touch? Carlos Diaz-Velazquez SAN JUAN, P.R.
I have no style. There are certain people who just have a visual sense that defines their work. You could probably watch 30 seconds of anything they do and you'll know exactly who directed it. I don't have that skill.

Lost's elaborate, seasons-long story line seems to be the exception on TV. Is there pressure to create easily digestible shows? Mike North, BOALSBURG, PA.
When we created Lost, it was so clearly going to be a serialized show. We thought, They're never in a million years going to let us do it. Somehow, though, ABC was O.K. with it because it did well. But that was a complete anomaly. Networks prefer stand-alones. They syndicate better, and they're easier to watch.

Your shows are less about mysterious islands and mad scientists than they are about dysfunctional families. Why? Martin Petersen SCHLESWIG, GERMANY
Especially in television, the more that you're telling a story about a family, the better the show ends up being. And the family can be a family, a group of friends or the members of a starship. You're telling the story of relationships and how characters grow.

Do you have plans for another television series? Divya Chungi NEW YORK CITY
I do have an idea. It's like a romantic and comedic show with a little bit of action thrown in. That's the best broad definition I can give.

What is your favorite plot twist of all time? Emi Chang Kaneshiro MILILANI, HAWAII
The one that comes to mind is the end of Planet of the Apes, when you realize, "Oh my God, he's never getting home because that is home." I just remember seeing that as a kid and I was like, "That's it. My brain just stopped."

Source: Time

We welcome relevant, respectful comments.
 
blog comments powered by Disqus